John W. Carlisle's Civil War Diary - 95th Pennsylvanian Infantry - 112th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers

John W. Carlisle's Civil War Diary - 95th Pennsylvanian Infantry - 112th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers

(Civil War – Pennsylvania) John W. Carlisle’s manuscript diary. Carlisle was a Union soldier in Company “F”, 1st Regt. 95th Pennsylvanian Infantry and later in his career was in the 112th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. The very detailed and extensive 190 page diary dates between 1861 and 1866 with the entries being almost every day of service and being a single sentence to a full page. Also included are a GAR reunion photo with on the back of which is written John Carlisle, Old Point Comfort, Died 1909, a photo of Godfrey N. Carlisle – July 1865, John’s brother and four tintypes of Carlisle’s family members.



(Spelling uncorrected)

The first entry is September 12, 1861 “Enlisted in Co. F 95 Reg. P.V. commanded by Col. John M. Gosline. The diary is completely transcribed with the below being some of the entries.

10/13 “encamped at Hindall green one mile from Washington.”

10/21 “went on review at meridian Hill by gen Cassey about 9000 in line.”

10/29 “went on review at Washington by gen geo B. McClellan about 11000 in line.”

10/30 “Struck tents at 9 o’clock AM and left Bladensburg crossed the Potomac on the long bridge passed through Alexandria VA to Fairfax Seminary which we reached at 8 o’clock P.M. a distance of 20 miles.”

11/20 “Regt went on review at Baily X (cross) roads about 60,000 infantry 3 Regt Cavalry and 200 pieces of artillery in line.”

12/13 “A soldier of the first regt N.Y. cavalry was Shot by a detachment of 12 men of his own Regt for trying to desert for to the Rebels.”


1/11 “on a visit to Alexandria went in the Marshall house where Co. Ellswort was Shot by Jackson while hauling down the rebel flag.”

2/28 “Had muster and inspection Fairfax Seminary caught fire.”

3/10 “rec orders at 5 O clock to get ready to march Sent some cloths home in a box left camp at 8 o clock A.M. reached Fairfax about Sundown a distance of 14 miles.”

4/6 “left camp Franklin at 9 O clock A.M. marched to the Alexandria rail road got in the cars at 5 o clock P.M. rode to Manasses which we reached about 2 o’clock in the morning of the 7.”

4/7 “left the cars at daylight left Manassas and marched to Bristoe which we reached at 10 o clock A.M. a distance of 5 miles.”

4/11 “Fine day left Bristoeat 10 A.M. marched 5 miles towards Warrington rec orders to return and joinexpadition under gen McClellan Staid (yed) at Bristoe over night.”

5/7 “left camp and went in the woods to reconnoiter by companies. Came across 2 divisions of Rebels. had a fight for about 3 hours on picket for over night.”

5/21 “Fine day took up march at 6 A.M. went a distance of 7 miles to within 10 miles of Richman.”

6/1/62 “fine day called up at 1 A.M. to go on fatigue duty to build a bridge over a small creek got done by sunrise.” 6/14 “fine day very dusty on fatigue duty 2 miles from camp to build cordery roads.”


6/18 “fine day regt took up march at 10 A.M. crossed the chickohomany river a distance of 8 miles. I was left behind with a Squad as wagon guard.”


6/27 “fine day, got marching orders called into line several times through the day, left camp at one P.M. for battle. Crossed the river. Had a sever battle with the enemy at Gains Hill. Our Col, Major, Capt, and Lieut wounded. Regt returned to camp after dark.”


6/30 “fine day left picket at 7 A.M. and marched back 2 miles to act as rear guardfor the wagons, under arms all the afternoon. Heavy artillery fight around us laid on the ground for three or four hours.”


7/3 “got marching orders at 9 A.M. commenced our march at 2 P.M. reached the river where we fell back 2 miles through mud 8 in deep pitched tents.”


7/4 “fine day passed off quick except the firing of cannon and bands playing.”


8/1 “dull and cloudy heavy cannonading on James river near Harrison landing at 1 AM in morn.”


8/15 “Cloudy got marching orders struck tents at 7 am and commenced our march at 3 pm marched all night.”


8/16 “F.D. (from here it means fine day). Still on march until 3 pm a distance of 25 miles took a rest all night.”


8/17 “F.D. commenced our march on 10 am marched until 11 pm when we halted for the night within one mile of Williamsburg distance 12 miles.”


8/18 “F.D.. took up our march for Yorktown at 7 A.M. rested at Williamsburg ½ an hour. Stopped 4 miles past Williamsburg to cook rations. Marched until 10 pm when we rested near Yorktown distance 12 miles.”


9/17 “F.D. all quiet except 300 or more rebel prisoners passed through the town.”


11/27 “fine. Thanksgiving day. had a large dinner. Speaking music and singing in the mess room.”


(In December of 1862 Carlisle fell ill and was hospitalized. He was discharged for disability a few months later but re-enlisted in February of 1863 with the 112th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers.)




2/13 “examined by the board told to call in 10 days for my papers.”


2/14 “clear and pleasant the Penn boys partook of a supper prepared for us by the Ladies of Chester Co. rec a certificate in regard to my pay and muster from Stewarts mansion hospital. Baltimore.”




5/12 “rec orders to leave camp to join my regt rec 1 months pay and one installment of bounty. Left camp at 4 pm left Phila at 6 pm. Got to Baltimore at 2 AM in the morning of the 13.”


5/25 “fine Struck tents and commenced our march for Port Royal marched a distance of 10 miles to the edge of the Rapohanic river at Port Conway opposite port Royal where the Camp Stuck tents and fell in the rear and put up over night in a corn crib.”


5/26 “fine. Struck tents at 8 AM and went on board of Steamer George Weems and sailed up the river to Fredricksburg a distance of 23 miles from Port Royal which we reached at 1 PM went through the town and encamped on the outskirts. I was detailed with some others to go as guard after pome wounded left camp at 6 PM and marched about 3 miles through the mud and rain the worst night I ever passed through the mud knee deep stopped at 10 pm for over night rain all night.”


5/27 “fine commenced our march at 6 AM and marched a distance of 2 miles past Chanclerville and back to within 3 miles of Fredricksburg where we pitched tents until 2 next morning a distance of 20 miles which we reached at about 4 PM.”


5/28 “ fine. Struck tents at 2 AM and marched to Fredricksburg 3 miles left there 6 AM I dropt out of Co with some others. Co. marched on to Port Royal. I Stoped all in a field 2 miles from Prot Royal. 20 from Fredricksburg.”


6/2 “fine fell in line at 6 AM took up march for Richmond went a distance of 6 miles when we halted for dinner not allowed to make fire. So we eat dinner cold. Fell in line again and went 3 miles where we halted for over night. rain all night.”


6/4 fine fell in line and took up march at 6 A.M. and went to fromunky (?) river where we stoped to take dinner and lay the pontoon bridge at 1 pm to cross. Took up our bridge began our march for the front went a distance of 8 miles to gen Burnsides Headquarters 7 miles from Richmond. Got there at 8 p.m. pitched tents. Raining and very disagreeable all night.”


6/5 fine. Struck tents at 6 A.M. and moved our position Stood in line of battle until 11 Am when we got orders to pitch tents. Heavy cannonading about ½ a mile in the front. fell in line at 8 pm without arms to go on fatigue duty in the wood to cut down trees and build fortifications Staid out all night.”


6/6 “fine, changed position of camps in the afternoon. Shortly after we were shelled by the enemy for about ½ an hour. at 7 pm we advanced nearer the front to work at a fort all night. rained through the night.”


6/16 “fine. Fell in line at 6 AM went in the woods lay there until 4 pm when we went to the front in line of battle to support the Scirmishers until 10 pm when we went to the rear for over night.”


6/20 “fine. Fell in line at 9AM and marched a distance of 6 miles to Chesterville 1 ½ miles from appomatic crossed at Point of Rocks stacked arms for dinner ordered to pitch tents.”


6/22 “very warm got orders to pitch tents heavy fighting in the front during the night.”


6/24 “very warm and sultry heavy shelling by the enemy in the morning and evening detailed with some others all night to carry Abbatoes to put around a fort very quiet all night.”


6/25 “very warm morning passed off quiet. Shelling in the afternoon by the enemy relieved from 2nd line of entrenchments in the evening and took our position in the front line. Night passed off quiet.”


6/30 “passed off quiet struck tents at 4 pm all in line and marched to the left of the line to act as support for the scrimishers. Slight engagement in front regt under fire but not in action. One man wounded in camp through the legs. Went back to camp at dark.”


7/6 “pleasant. Man shot through the head. Died instantly while in the entrenchment, by the name of Anthony Green. A bugler of our Co. briske cannonading in the evening.”


7/16. “Cloudy fell in line with arms after dark and went about a mile. To the rear on fatigue to level one of the enemys earth works to the ground. Worked until 12 midnight when we went to camp.”


7/26 “fine heavy firing on the right in the morning the enemy made 3 charges. Drove back both times. Reported our men took from the enemy 7 pieces and 400 prisoners. Left 2nd line after sundown and went to the skirmish pits. Detailed as picket in front of line on duty all night. brisk cannonading from both sides. Left picket before sunrise.”


7/29 “warm got marching orders packed up and fell in line at 6 am. Stacked arms until 10 pm. When we left camp went about 2 miles to the left of the line. Formed in line of battle. Laid down on our arms.”


7/30 “very warm awoke about Sunrise by heavy firing in front and the explosion of a rebel fort caused by our men undermining it and filing with powder. Regt formed and moved within 200 yds of the front. Our Regt under fire but not in action. Relieved at 11 AM and moved towards the left about 2 miles. when we halted until 5 pm got orders to pitch tents . got orders to get ready and went at 8pm to front line of entrenchments on guard to last part of the night.”


8/2 “rain in afternoon very little firing through the day. detailed with some others to help dig a well in the rear of the front line of entrenchment. On guard first part of night.”


8/3 “warm called up an hour before day light and moved a little to the right. to make room for colored troops. About to work at a fort briske firing of musketry from both sides. Left the front line and moved about 50 yds to the left in the scrimish line. On guard the first part of the night heavy shelling by the enemy in the night.”


8/5 “very warm very little firing through the day heavy explosion of one of the enemys forts caused by one of our shells bursting in their magazine left the entrenchment after dark and went to the rear in camp.”


8/9 “clear and warm in morn rain in afternoon. brisk shelling in morn and evening. heavy explosion of a transport loaded with shell at City Point. About 5 (something) blown completely to pieces. About 30 colored troops killed and several buildings destroyed.”


8/16 “warm in morning rain in the evening got orders to pack up at 6 Pm to move camp. Fell in line and moved about 2 miles to the left. took position in the front line of entrenchment. Detailed at night until 12 midnight with some others to repair covered cross way damaged by rain brisk firing of musketry from both sides through the night.”


8/26 “ fell in line at 10AM and went in the woods. Pitched tents. About ½ a milefrom Point of Rocks on the Appomatic river and 2 miles from Bermuda Hundred. Rain through the night.”


9/24 “Slight rain in morn. Let on guard in the evening over cattle.”


9/29 “fine called up at 1 AM fell in line in light marching trim to go to the right of the line near deep Bottom on the James river. Reached there at daylight distance 10 miles. got in engagement at Chapin farm or bluff 2 batalion of our regt in charge our battalion not taking action but under fire all day one man in camp killed Corp Tuley Levan regt lost several men killed and wounded Major Anderson killed Major Sadler wounded and taken prisoner our battalion left the position we had at about 4 pm and went in an old rebel entrenchment. Left there at dusk and maneuvered about the field until 11 pm when we laid down on our arms. Our men took 2 forts one we could not hold. The other we held fort Harrison afterwards fort Burnham in honor of gen Burnham killed.”


9/30 “fine our battalion fell in line in morning and commenced to throw up entrenchments got through without opposition in about 6 hours then took our position in them when the enemy began to shell us and kept it up until morning several charges made by both sides at the fort in the afternoon but nothing gained except our men took some prisoners. Rain in the evening. no fighting.”


10/17 “fine took a walk in the afternoon to James river about 3 miles from the regt saw the rebelfolag of truce steamboat Wm Alison exchange of prisoners.”


11/8 “Cloudy election day for President polls open at the Capt quarters.”


12/28 “Clear pleasant relieved from camp guard in the morning rain in the evening and through the night heavy cannonading near Petersburg in the night.”




1/3 “cold. Camp called in line at 8 A.M. with arms and equipment and went with the regt to the right of the line 2 miles from camp to witness the execution of 2 men for desertion. One of bat. D. the other 52 PP Shot by a detail of 16 men from Bat. H acting provost guard execution at 11 A.M. when we went back to camp det on picket in the evening near the river. Snowing all night and cold.”


1/17 “...a salute fired in the afternoon by the batteries along the line in honor of the capture of Fort Fisher taken on the 15 near Wilmington S.C.”


1/23 “...raining heavy shelling and picket firing from both sides at 8 P.M. on the other side of James river. Kept up for about one hour. when it stoped. Began at 10 from close by us on our right from both sides with musketry and artillery ____ firing kept up for about one hour when we went to our quarters. Occasionally a shot from our side through the night.”


2/16 “...cloudy in morning clear in afternoon. Camp under arms as 10 ___ of firing between the pickets caused by deserters from the enemy coming into our lines about 20 men. firing kept up about ½ an hour when we went to our quarters. Called out again at 2 in morning under arms by firing between the pickets caused by the enemy making a charge on our picket line close by us on our left. They were repulsed with the loss of several men killed. firing kept up about one hour....”


3/2 “.... Camp fell in line under arms at 4 A.M. left camp and went to the right with regt about 2 miles to support a charge. The charge not made on account of artillery opening from both lines. Right got back to camp about 6 A.M. cannonading kept up near all morning. Camp fell in line in the evening and stacked arms. Got orders to be ready to fall in at any time arms in stackes all night. heavy cannonading at night both right and left. the enemy left their line in our front, during the night for Richmond.”


4/4 “....the right of our camp (1/2) went out in the afternoon a scouting. I staid in camp with the left. about 1 hour after the left of our camp and part of camp K and M fell in line and went to some coal pits. A distance of 20 miles from Chester reached there 12 midnight. Captured about 60 prisoners on the march and 3 locomotives at the coal pits. After getting up steam we left the coal pits with the prisoners on board about 2 A.M. and reached Chester at daybreak of the 5th>”


8/17 “...rec’d orders at 7 A.M. to pack up camp fell in line at 9 A.M. left Petersburg and went 3 miles in the country as a place formerly used as Gen Lee headquarters of the confederate army. Reached there at 11 A.M. pitched tents.”


8/24 “...regt fell in line at 9 A.M. and marched to Petersburg to act as escort at a funeral of the Lieut Col of the 41 N.Y. Arty. Buried at the Petersburg cemetery.”




1/24 “...regt got orders in morning to get ready to be mustered out of service. Camp fell in line at 10 A.M. and marched to head quarters of the mustering out officer. Where we were mustered out by brevet Major Martin. Recd orders at 7 pm to pack up and be ready to leave.”


1/30 “ camp called up at 3 A.m. fell in line and marched to the boat Lady Lang at 1 ½ am boat left city point for fortress Monore which we reached at 3 pm a distance of 95 miles. landed on wharf where the camp stacked arms for about one hour. when we took the boat and ____ for Baltimore. Left Fortress Monroe at Sundown and sailed all night.”


1/31 (last entry) “...reached Baltimore at 6 ½ A.m. a distance of 180 miles. left boat and marched to the Phila’d depot. Where we took cars at 9 A.m. for Philadelphia which we reached at 6 A.m. a distance of 100 miles. left steam cars and took horse cars for _____ which I reached at 8 p.m. after a service of 1 year 11 months.”

A well preserved and detailed account of the war from one Pennsylvania soldiers view, with good content on the movements of his Pennsylvania Regiment.


$ 5,875.00
# 1406