Michigan-California Lumber Company - Placerville, California - 1928-1930
16 Original Timber Cruiser Maps from the Michigan-California Lumber Company. Placerville. N.p., 1928-1930. 8vo. 7 x 4 in. With 16 folding timber cruiser maps, sized from 3.25 x 6.5 in. 10 x 10 up to 10.5 x 11 in., most with handcolouring, annotations determining locations of lumber camps, some with stamped and annotations on versos, numerous mimeographed typed pages with explanatory texts, documentary manuscript notes, and more. Original limp-leather covers, ring binder, stamped on front cover, lettering of Placerville, CA. This company harvested tress predominantly in El Dorado County. For new and existing timberland owners, a timber cruise is a rather inexpensive first step in determining the current volume of merchantable timber on the property and its market value. A timber cruise is normally completed by a consulting forester prior to the timber being sold. In addition, this manuscript map work offers an invaluable document in tracing the available lands, grazing permits, logging camps, and detailed information, such as the grazing permit holders for the Company. The American River Land and Lumber Co. began logging the Georgetown Divide in 1890.Logs were delivered to the river via a chute and thus floated to a mill in Folsom,CA. As logging progressed further back into the woods, a narrow gauge railroad was built to bring the logs to the chute. The first locomotive arrived in 1892. In 1900, the entire operation changed hands to the El Dorado Lumber Co. and the rough cut mill was relocated to Pino Grande. 1901 saw the building of a cable way to haul the lumber from the north side of the canyon to the south side where the narrow gauge continued its journey to a new planing mill in Camino. The finished product was taken by the standard gauge CP & LT, also owned by the company to a connection with the Southern Pacific at Placerville. After an economic downturn in 1907 shut down the operation, the company was sold in 1911 to become the CD Danaher Pine Co. Hands changed once again in 1915 to RE Danaher Co. and finally became the Michigan-California Lumber Co. in 1918. By this time the company owned nearly 60,000 acres of timberland and spread miles of railroad lines throughout the forest. Later, the company would be acquired by Sierra Pacific Industries, and most of its mills closed through the 1970s and 1980s. Expected wear but overall in vg cond.