The Indian Advocate - Benedictine Fathers of Sacred Heart Abbey
(Oklahoma - Sacred Heart Mission) [ROBOT, Father Isidore, HAFFNER, Father Adalbert & BENEDICTINE FATHERS (ed.)]. The Indian Advocate. Edited by the Benedictine Fathers of Sacred Heart Abbey, Vol. XVII, No. 9; Vol. XVIII, No. 4; Vol. XX, No. 2-3, 7, 9, 11; Vol. XXII, No. 1-4. Sacred Heart Mission, OK: Benedictine Fathers, Sacred Heart Mission, Benedictine Fathers, Sacred Heart Mission, Sept., 1905 - April, 1910. 11 issues in 10 parts. 8vo. , -, ; , -130, ; , 35-66, ; , -99, ; , -254, ; , 276-310, ; , -384, ; 10, -460, ; 461-491, ; , -525 pp. Many with photo frontispieces, plates, text illustrations, many illustrated ads. First two issues in original red printed soft-covers, last 8 parts in tan printed wrappers (chipping, edge-wear, some minor tears, scuffing, occasional interior toning as usual, ex-lib markings on a few issues). First editions of this remarkably scarce run of the noted journal published to benefit the Shawnee and Potawatomi Nation near Shawnee, Oklahoma. Sacred Heart Abbey was founded in Indian Territory near Shawnee, and Father D. Ignatius established the Indian Advocate in 1888. This journal was initially published as a quarterly review of the progress of civilization in the Indian Territory to promote the spiritual and temporal welfare of the American Indian tribes, and plead the cause of the last remnants of many tribes in the Territory. Although initially published as a two-column review of 20 pages, by 1905 the Advocate had grown to a monthly 36-page paper with occasional pictures and illustrations. These journals included editorials on Indian affairs, education of Native Americans, histories of different tribes and personalities, and many Catholic Church-related items. Father Isidore Robot founded the Sacred Heart Mission in 1875 upon learning that the Shawnee and Potawatomi tribes were without resident priests or missions. The Potawatomi Nation offered the mission land four miles north of the Canadian River in the southeast corner of what is now Pottawatomie County. Destroyed by fire in 1901, the Abbey rebuilt the mission including a school of Native American girls, a technical school, and seminary, as well as a printing press. Sacred Heart and St. Gregory’s constitute Oklahoma’s oldest, continuous educational center. Of particular interest is that this run contains the entire last four issues of the journal published, including tipped-in notice announcing the Sacred Heart Mission’s suspension of publication. See: Oklahoma Historical Society, Chronicling America, The Indian Advocate. Vg cond.