Ascent of Mt. Hood - Automobile Trip Through Central Oregon - 1908-1912
(Automobile Travel and Mountain Climbing Photo Album) Weister, George M. photographer. ASCENT OF MT. HOOD; A TRIP UP THE NEHALEM RIVER; DEER HUNTING IN SOUTHERN OREGON; AN AUTOMOBILE TRIP THROUGH CENTRAL OREGON. Hood River and Portland, Oregon. 1908 - 1912. Oblong 4to. 10.75 x 7.25 in. [84 pp (unpaginated).] With 182 photographs tipped-in, many w/ captions and borders in white ink, some cut into shapes, or arranged in patterns, sized from .25 x 1.2 up to 6 x 8 in., most are 2.5 x 4 in., 3 w/ photographer's signature in lower fore-edge of image (contrast varies, some with bright strong contrast, others slightly faded, most very sharp images). Contemporary black cloth photo album (edgewear, minor rubbing, minor wear to corners, couple images w/ very minor tears), still VG exemplar.
This fascinating photo album captures the mountain climbing, hunting and fishing expeditions, and automobile trek of four young Oregon men at the beginning of the 20th century. The first section focuses on an ascent of Mt. Hood in 1908, with images showing the four "Alpiners" leaving Hood River, OR in their Brass Era touring car, feeding the chipmunks at the historic Cloud Cap Inn designed by William Whidden, and built by William Ladd and Charles Erskine Scott Wood. The images include snapshots of Mt. Hood from various views, the participants, the party which made the July 15, 1908 ascent, as well as Weister photos showing the mountain, climbers on the mountain, and three climbers coasting down the mountain bracing themselves with their hiking poles. The next summer in August, 1909, the friends take off for fishing on the Nehalem River, with images of them at Astoria, in camp, on the Salmonberry River, the 86 trout they caught, wash day, an extraordinary image of one setting on the boardwalk in Long Beach, WA in front of the Cranberry Lands Real Estate Office, and hot nuts roasing wagon in the back ground, as well as car troubles and breakdown on the Washougal River, riding the Vancouver Ferry, and finally looping over to the Sandy River, before having to be towed home in their balky Buick. The third section focuses on their 1912 deer hunting trip near West Fork, OR, with images of the camp, views of the West Fork Hotel, and the station which was on the mainline between Portland and San Francisco. Photos show the compiler with his first deer, the nine deer the group bagged on the trip, with Jim Fuller the packer, and John Phelps acting as their guide. The final section vividly portrays an automobile trip through Central Oregon, with their Brass Era auto sporting a No. 250 license plate, lots of spare tires, and lots of breakdowns. The photos portray the rough road conditions, a western saloon, the Hotel Lamonta located on The Dalles to Prineville Road, which also featured a general store, the Odell Bar near the Crooked River, and closing with camping and fishing along the shores of Crater Lake. George M. Weister (1862-1922) began his career in 1888 with the Partridge Photo Company of Portland, and later he absorbed the company and established the Weister Company selling photographic supplies, lantern slides, and cameras along with his photos.